Steal the spotlight with luscious locks and amazing shine with our must-read hair styling tips! Learn how to get shiny hair at home and the tricks to a salon finish!
11 Jun, 2012
Every girl has a hair wishlist and one of the most common a girl can covet is healthy, shiny hair. Find out how you can boost the sheen of you locks with the tricks below!
- One of the most common hair styling mistakes is to over-use products and heated appliances. Product build-up, chemical services like perms, bleaching and dry, damaged hair can also make tresses look dull and lifeless.
- Lather up with a deep-cleansing shampoo once a week to remove product built-up, but make sure you won’t strip hair of natural essential oils. If your hair is squeaky clean is a sure sign that you’ve removed too much oil; cut down on shampooings or go for a milder formula that won’t dry out your locks.
- Condition and moisturize! Use a conditioner after every shampooing and deep-condition once a week, adding steam to help it penetrate well. If you can’t stand in a steamy shower too long, put on a plastic cap and leave the product work with the heat from your scalp. When time is up, rinse with plenty of lukewarm water (never hot) to help seal the cuticle. If your hair needs more moisture use a leave-in treatment while hair still damp.
- When blow-drying your locks use a brush and direct the nozzle straight down the hair shaft to enhance shine and seal the cuticle. Naturally curly hair types don’t reflect light as straight locks do and it’s harder to get super shine. But try this: work shine serum into damp hair and blow-dry with a round brush. Finish off with flat or curling iron to further seal the cuticle.
- Avoid overuse of hair products and learn to add a little at a time. Hair styling formulas that are too heavy or tend to flake are also to be avoided.